Suggestions

Post your iOS specific myCal PRO questions here

Suggestions

Postby Martin_K. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Hello!

First of all, thank you for that great Calendar! ;) I like the monthly view very much, because it shows the starting-time of my appointments. The standard ios-calendar dosesn't show the starting-time in the monthly overview.

I would like to make some suggestions :) :

1. It would be great to have the possibility to change the week-view to vertical. What I mean is, to show Tuesday below Monday, Wednesday below Tuesday an so on. I hope you understand what I mean. I would like to have Monday to Wednesday on the left half of the screen and Thursday to Sunday on the right side of the Screen. It shoul look like this:

Mo. Th.
Tu. Fr.
We. Sa.
Su.

2. A simple button to bring you back to "today" would be great.

3. The day-names in week-view are a little bit small.

4. Last but not least, I would like to have the possibility to have a light background-colour for the weekends.

It would be great, if some of the suggestions could be integrated in a feature release.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards,
Martin
Martin_K.

Re: Suggestions

Postby HairyJohn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi Martin!
Thank you for the kind words and the suggestions!

Let me reply to each of them:

1. Interesting idea, I could make this a configurable option for the 7 Day Split Week View in a later release, I'll add it to the list!

2. That button actually exists on all the views, top left of each of the views is a GOTO TODAY button. Tap that and it will take you to the current day, week or month, depending on the view you are in. Does that cover what you are referring to?

3. Oh I'll take a look at that.

4. Absolutely, I'll add to my todo list as configurable option.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Regards
John
⭐ NEW ⭐ Eventium 4 Is now available! Take a look on the AppStore now!
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby Martin_K. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Hello John,

thanks for your fast reply, I finally found the "today-button" ;)

Looking forward, to the next release, I gave "mycal PRO" a four-star-rating in the German app-store.

Mycal PRO is "my" calendar now on the iPad-mini. If I can support you with a German translation, please let me know.

Regards,
Martin
Martin_K.

Postby HairyJohn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:13 am

Thank you for the rating Martin, it is very much appreciated!

Regarding the German translation, I really want to do this and hopefully I will be in a position to start in a month or so.

Regards
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby bart7110 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am

I would like to chime in with some more feedback if I may...

The idea above of having a different colour background for the weekend (and why not for holidays as well?) is an excellent idea. Alterenately, for those who prefer a very clean and minimalist look, how about just changing the colour of the day number?

I subscribed to a couple of holidays from Apple, which is a treat. But I'm wondering if it's possible to have these default to flush bottom, to keep them separate from, and below appoinments and such.

This one may be harder: On my Mac I'm using an older app called uCalendarX, which appears to be no longer supported. At least the guy's web page (http://www.riuz.com/index_e.html) has been offline for close to a year. One of the fantastic features of this app is this: Instead of a month view you can have a multi-week view, so that at first glance it is similar to month view except the current week is always on top. I think this would be a great option. (Assuming it is not covered by a patent or something...)

Thanks for making this great app.
bart7110

Postby HairyJohn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 am

Alterenately, for those who prefer a very clean and minimalist look, how about just changing the colour of the day number?

I like this as an option, a weekend style were you can choose a different background colour or a different day number colour or both. +1 from me.

I subscribed to a couple of holidays from Apple, which is a treat. But I'm wondering if it's possible to have these default to flush bottom, to keep them separate from, and below appoinments and such.

Ive been toying with the idea of having a priority list for calendars, you could force specific 'less important' calendars down the view so that in the Month View you always see the more important events. Now that you have suggested it, its on the list.

Instead of a month view you can have a multi-week view, so that at first glance it is similar to month view except the current week is always on top.

The way I have coded the month view actually makes this relatively straight forward, I was looking at having a rolling Week View (days horizontal exactly like the Month View), you set the max height (or full) of any specific week, and the user can just keep scrolling up or down.

The biggest issue I have right now is having space in the toolbar for more view options on the iPhone. iPad I still have plenty of space. Im apposed to making the toolbar any higher so Im looking at making it configurable with secondary long press options for other views etc. Will see how this one works itself out...

Regards
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby bart7110 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:13 am

I'm back with more whining as I learn the app.

* So I'm in month view, want to create an event. I tap on a date, I'm taken to the day view of that date where I press and hold to bring up the event page. Lkewise to cancel/delete an event again I end up in the day view. Seems to me, that's one step too many. If I wanted to see the day view I'd tap day view directly, no? Fine for those who live in the day view, not so good for me from the month view.

* So I create an event, I set the time by turning the 24h tumblers. So far so good. Now when I go back to the calendar, the time is in A/P format. Any way to choose between 12/24h formats?

* Third, the events in any given day are sorted by default (alpha-numeric?). I may want to have something at the top for various reasons regardless of the time stamp. I see no way of moving things around.

* And last,is there a way of turning off e-mail confirmations? It already says here on the web page that the post has been sent.

Here endedth todays whine.

cheers
bart7110

Postby HairyJohn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52 am

I don't see you whining, I see you giving constructive feedback. 8-)

I'm guessing you are an iPad user? Then yes you are quite correct, I am looking to make the Month View as fully integrated as the Week and Day View's, in that you will be able to tap on events directly in the Month View. I'll make it a configurable option so that iPhone users can do that too if they want, although the font size I use on the Month View on my iPhone is so small it is nearly impossible to tap on the correct event every time.

The time format is picked up from the locale of your device. I can add a config option for this, defaulting to the locale but then allow the user to override.

The sort order is determined by All day event, length of event, alpha sort on calendar name, then by timed events order in which they occur. I have another request where the sort order could be overridden depending on a separately configured calendar priority list. Would that suffice? That would only affect All Day events, timed events will always be in event time order.

Email confirmations from this forum you mean? You should be able to go into your user panel and set it to off. I'll try myself to make sure.
EDIT: Ok Im guessing you have a topic subscription set up, you can change that by going into User Control Panel, Overview, Manage Subscriptions. Also I moderate all incoming posts so you might get an email when I accept an incoming post. You would not believe the amount of spam that comes in that I have to filter out.

Cheers
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby bart7110 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 pm

HairyJohn wrote:
Alterenately, for those who prefer a very clean and minimalist look, how about just changing the colour of the day number?

I like this as an option, a weekend style were you can choose a different background colour or a different day number colour or both. +1 from me.

Ive been toying with the idea of having a priority list for calendars, you could force specific 'less important' calendars down the view so that in the Month View you always see the more important events. Now that you have suggested it, its on the list.

Instead of a month view you can have a multi-week view, so that at first glance it is similar to month view except the current week is always on top.

The way I have coded the month view actually makes this relatively straight forward, I was looking at having a rolling Week View (days horizontal exactly like the Month View), you set the max height (or full) of any specific week, and the user can just keep scrolling up or down.

The biggest issue I have right now is having space in the toolbar for more view options on the iPhone. iPad I still have plenty of space. Im apposed to making the toolbar any higher so Im looking at making it configurable with secondary long press options for other views etc. Will see how this one works itself out...

Regards
John

I don't mean to nag... it's been nearly 5 months since we had this exchange on three suggestions. Has it proved too difficult, or low on your list of priorities, or did you decide against them. Just wondering...
bart7110

Postby HairyJohn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Its been a while, sorry about that!
The items are still on the list and other larger changes (like the vertical Week View layout which has now been released) get released, these little changes creep up to the top.

The last few minor updates have been in catching up with the smaller changes that I have wanted to get out for a long time. The next few releases are the same, my intention is to add weekend and current day background colour coding (configurable), long press menu on the Week and Month views and some other niceties.

The next major release will be a vertically scrolling Month View. Your requirement is slightly different however, you want to be able to 'fix' the current week to the top of the view. I'll look at making that a configurable option.

Also, having all day appointments (like Holidays) appear *after* timed events is possible, its just creating the UI aspect of it without making it look awkward. I'll look into adding this into one of the next few minor updates as it should be straight forward.

Regards
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Next

Return to myCal PRO Support [iOS]