Different Colours for Calendar Entries

Post your iOS specific myCal PRO questions here

Different Colours for Calendar Entries

Postby reinhard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi,

I wanted to assign colours to different calendar entries of one and the same calendar - one of the nice features I liked when I checked features of mycal. So far only thing I managed to do is to have coloured bullet points which can be done on right top of screen when I enter an event in my iphone - but I could not assign a colour to an event.

(I also managed to configure different background colours to days etc. - but this is not what I am looking for.)

Please advise.

Regards,

Reinhard
reinhard

Re: Different Colours for Calendar Entries

Postby HairyJohn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Reinhard, welcome to the forum!
To have events displayed in different colours you create new calendars and specify a colour.
Are you using local calendars or iCloud? If so this is really simple to do, tap Settings and then Calendars. You will be able to create new calendars and assign a colour to them. For instance I have Work, Home, Sports and other calendars, each with a specific colour.
If you are using GMail you need to login to GMail itself and create the calendars there and specify the colour.

Let me know if that works for you!

Regards
John
⭐ NEW ⭐ Eventium 4 Is now available! Take a look on the AppStore now!
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby reinhard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi John,

ok - think I have an idea now where issue might be caused.

I use a comany outlook calendar on my Iphone only - just one calendar to make sure that my colleagues have full transparency about my availability - private entries secured by outlook security settings within this calendar. In outlook I have categories to which I assign colours which was something I was lookinf for myCal as well. This calendar is not synchronized with ICloud since company policy does not support this feature - synchronized with company server instead.

Seems to be different concept - you are talking about using different calendars where each calendar has a different colour setting - right?

Is ther a possibility to use colours in my concept with just one calendar.

Regards,

Reinhard
reinhard

Postby HairyJohn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Ah I see what you mean.

I have been toying with the idea of having a config option to allow the Tag colour that currently displays the small dot, to optionally display as the background colour of the entire event. This would be quite easy for me to do.

However, the data for the category tag is actually stored in the Notes field, so when you sync back with Outlook the notes field will contain an embedded field that contains the tag colour. This might not be an ideal option for you.

Regards
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby reinhard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:52 am

ok - I understand - settings which are lost during synch with Outlook certainly make no sense and don't help

What about using Outlook categories (although I don't see them in Apple calendar right now)?

Any other option to make use of colours in my settings - which would help a lot to have a quick overview of what is going on in my calendar?

Regards,

Reinhard
reinhard

Postby HairyJohn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 am

Actually the settings would be retained when syncing with Outlook, but when the event is viewed in Outlook you will see an embedded field at the end of the notes. This might not be desirable.

Unfortunately Outlook categories are not synced by Apple. I would need to write a direct Outlook sync option, completely bypassing Apple's implementation. That is far from ideal.

I have added a new option when adding and editing an event for background colour. If set it overrides the calendar colour used. It will store this information in the notes field, the info is hidden when viewing events in myCal, but would be visible when viewing the event in Outlook (and Outlook will ignore the colour).

I will submit a new build to Apple in a few days.

Regards
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby reinhard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Great Thanks - Sounds Promising
reinhard

Return to myCal PRO Support [iOS]