Appointment won't display(save) in Local Calendar?

Post your iOS specific myCal PRO questions here

Re: Appointment won't display(save) in Local Calendar?

Postby 5502rick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:37 am

John
Thanks for your note and websites. Just to clarify for your readers.

1) Google calendar sync is NO LONGER AN OPTION unless you have a paid subscription to Google App, even though the Software is still available to download, It Will Not Work. Gsyncit seems to be working good, except their trial version has a 15 second delay when opening Outlook.

As I review calendar options, I think you have a Great App, but would likto see some very important additions:

2) The App should always open up to the current date,

3) it lacks a weather interface,

4) as well as an annual view.

5) The weekly view in Vertical view should show M-W on left side, and T-F, SS on the right side. The Horizontal view is good.

I think the Sunrise App may be a good one for you to look at. I appreciate the fact that you don't require any special registrations, that is a real plus for MyCal Pro. Any idea if these changes are realistic, and when? Thank you again for your prompt support.
5502rick

Postby HairyJohn » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Rick,
I hope you don't mind, I have formatted your message so that I can reply easier. Lets take a look:

1) Google calendar sync is NO LONGER AN OPTION
I think you are referring to some kind of external syncing to a PC outside of iOS. Google calendars configured directly on an iOS device do sync correctly, although I dont think we have much control over when the sync occurs. I am not familiar with any other external syncing applications.

2) Always show current date
Already on my todo list, I'll be making this a configurable option. If the view you were last looking at was on the current Day/Week or Month at that time, when you reenter the app it will take you to today's Day/Week/Month automatically. This will be available in the next or next + 1 release. You always have the goto today option on each view (4 red arrows pointing inwards top left when the view is not on the current day, week or month).

3) Weather
I haven't considered any kind of weather facility. I'll need to investigate further.

4) Annual view
Again, Ive got this on my todo list. It'll look great on the iPad! This wont be available for a month or so, however.

5) Week view layout
You an do this now. Tap Settings, Week View, set Layout to Vertical

Thanks
John
⭐ NEW ⭐ Eventium 4 Is now available! Take a look on the AppStore now!
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby 5502rick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:54 pm

:D John

Thanks for the great reply. The sync was for Outlook(PC) to Google calendar. I found the settings for the week, Layout, but when I switch to vertical which corrects the vertical view I'd like, it changes how the horizontal view looks like when I turn my phone to Landscape. Would like to see those choices independent. Thanks for looking at the weather possibility. I think that the sunrise calendar app does a great job on the weather placement, and also allows for adding common events / location without typing them. It would be great if MyCal Pro allowed us to customize 3 or 4 events that would popup when entering an event to save time.
Looking forward to your next update. Thank you
5502rick

Postby HairyJohn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Ok a quick update on what Ive completed for the next version:

2) Month, week and day views will always open on the current day *if* the view you were looking contained the current date at that time. For example:
You are viewing today's events on the Day View.
You open myCal tomorrow, it remembers you were on the Day View and that you were previously looking at the current day and so will automatically move to the new current day.

5) Week layout
I have split the layout options into portrait and landscape.
Ive also added an option to allow you to set what day to start the Week View on.

The above changes will be in my next release.

Regards
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby montysims » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:44 am

John,

I'm having the same issue. I'm currently running version 1.9.13.215 on an iPhone 5S. When I enter an appointment on my desktop computer via Google Calendar, the appointment doesn't sync with my iphone. for MyCal Pro. If I unload the app from memory and reload it, it still doesn't sync. If I then check the delivered calendar with the iphone. the appointments are there. When I then go back and check the MyCal Pro app, the appointments now show up. This issues makes the app very unreliable since I'm never sure if my appointments are available.

Any thoughts?

Help.

Thanks,

Monty
montysims

Postby HairyJohn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:53 am

Hi Monty,
Interesting, iOS is supposed to sync with google (and other calendar providers) seemlessly behind the scenes, and then inform any interested apps (like myCal) that it has occured so that it can reload. In your example the sync with iOS didn't occur until you went into the native calendar app, is that correct?
I'll run some tests now to see if anything has changed with latest iOS 7 release.

Cheers
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby montysims » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:05 pm

John,

Correct. It doesn't sync until I go into the native app. My iOS is up to date at 7.1. This issues doesn't occur all of the time, just most of the time.

Hope this helps. In the mean time I will do some additional testing...

Thanks for looking into this,

Monty
montysims

Postby 5502rick » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:23 pm

If you are using outlook, with a Google calendar, you will need to buy a third party add on or demo one. I have been using gsyncit for about 2 months now, and it works great. If you do that, your phone will sync with the calendar(Pro), and then with Outlook through the third party App. Shut off the calendar sync in your iTunes, and you should be good to go. I am hoping that someone will develop a good calendar that will sync with both Outlook, and Google.
5502rick

Postby HairyJohn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Ok I have good news on this. Good, but not great news. I managed to get Google calendars to sync again without needing a paid google account.
Please try the following:

• Go into the Settings app (not Settings in myCal)
  • Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
  • Tap Fetch New Data
  • You will see the Gmail calendars there, make sure it is set to Fetch
  • Scroll down to the Fetch section
  • Set to a value other than Manual

From my tests the interval is from the last time the native calendar app fetched. So on all iOS devices:
  • Try the above and set to 15 mins on all iOS devices
  • Go into the native calendar app on all iOS devices
  • Go into myCal on all iOS devices

Then add a test event to a google calendar in myCal on one of the iOS devices. I would expect within 15 mins it'll appear on the 2nd device, without needing to go into the native app again.

Not ideal, but better than nothing for now!

Please post back your findings as this *should* work for everyone.

Cheers
John
HairyJohn
Site Admin

Postby montysims » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:34 am

John,

I had been testing this issues and found the same solution. I was going to send you and update when I found your fix. I tested it pretty heavy and setting your fetch option to something other than manual works great. It seems strange that if you have push turned on, that you would still need to set the fetch options.

But hey, it works great now.

Thanks for your help!

Monty
montysims

Previous

Return to myCal PRO Support [iOS]